Car Accident Lawyers in Lafayette and Metairie
Motor vehicle accidents are a serious problem in Louisiana and throughout the United States. Thousands of people are injured or killed in traffic accidents each year. According to the NHTSA, fatal car crashes claimed 35,485 lives in 2015 and 37,461 lives in 2016 in the United States. In addition to the deaths caused by car accidents, over two million people are injured each year in traffic accidents. The Louisiana State University’s crash data reports for 2017 state that 76,469 people were injured in vehicle-related accidents statewide and 747 were killed in traffic accidents that year.
The Law Offices of Blaine J. Barrilleaux has been assisting clients in recovering compensation for damages caused by car accidents for almost 20 years. Call 337-989-1212 to schedule a free consultation with a car accident lawyer. We serve clients in Lafayette, Metairie, and the surrounding areas.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Lafayette and Metairie
In some cases, poor weather conditions, defectively designed roads, dangerous road conditions, or defective automobile parts contribute to the cause of car accidents. However, most car accidents involve some type of driver error. When a driver is negligent, that driver can be held liable for any damages caused by the crash, including medical expenses, income loss, property repairs, and other damages.
Examples of driver negligence that can contribute to the cause of a traffic accident include:
- Texting While Driving or Talking on a Cell Phone
- Speeding, Reckless Driving, and Other Traffic Offenses
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and Drugs
- Drowsy or Fatigued Driving
- Inexperienced Drivers
- Distracted Driving (i.e. eating, grooming, adjusting controls, searching for fallen objects, etc.)
The cause of an accident determines who is liable for your damages. Our experienced Lafayette car accident lawyer investigates the car crash to determine the cause of the crash and identify the liable party or parties. By thoroughly investigating the accident, we increase the chance that you will receive maximum compensation for all damages.
Proving Liability in a Louisiana Car Accident Claim
To recover money for an injury claim, you must prove that another party was at fault. We begin by determining the cause of the crash. Some car crashes are more complex, especially collisions involving multiple vehicles, commercial trucks, dangerous road conditions, and defective parts. We rely on the network of resources and experts accumulated over 20 years to assist our legal team in investigating the crash and identifying the liable parties.
Some of the potential parties named in car accident claims include:
- The Driver — When the driver is at fault (i.e. failing to stop, driving too fast, etc.), the driver can be held responsible for damages. In most cases, it is the driver’s insurance company that negotiates and pays the claim
- An Employer — A company, such as a trucking company, overnight mail service, or pizza restaurant, can be held responsible for damages caused by one of its drivers or in one of its vehicles.
- Government Agency or Entity — If a dangerous road condition contributed to the cause of the accident, a government entity could be liable for damages. In addition, sub-contractors or third parties working for the government could be potentially liable for damages
- A Company — In the case of a defective car part, the manufacturer of the part and/or the vehicle may be named as a party to the claim
Because it is extremely important to ensure that the correct parties are named, you should work with an experienced Metairie car accident lawyer. The Law Offices of Blaine J. Barrilleaux has almost two decades of experience handling car accident claims.
Do I Need a Lafayette Car Accident Attorney to File My Claim?
It is usually in your best interest to consult an attorney before you discuss your claim with the insurance company for the other party. Insurance adjusters work for the insurance provider. An adjuster’s goal is to protect the company by denying your claim or paying as little as possible to settle your claim. The adjuster is not working for you.
Unless you are familiar with the tactics used by insurance companies to undervalue claims, you could settle your car accident claim for much less than the claim is worth. Remember, once you settle your claim, you cannot reopen the claim even if you discover additional damages or losses.
Consider working with a legal team who protects your best interests, someone who understands the laws governing personal injury claims in Louisiana. A car accident lawyer who will not back down and who will take your claim to court if necessary to protect your right to receive full compensation for all damages.
Call for Your Free Case Review Now!
The Law Offices of Blaine Barrilleaux is a personal injury law firm in Louisiana with offices in both Lafayette and Metairie. Our law firm specializes in a wide range of personal injury cases including auto accidents, truck accidents, workers compensation and wrongful death. To schedule a consultation with one of our practicing attorneys, please give us a call at 337-989-1212 or complete our inquiry contact form.