Louisiana is home to multiple bodies of water such as the Mississippi River and Red River, and has easy access to the gulf, creating numerous job opportunities for the people of this state. The city of Metairie, as of 2010, is populated with over 138,000 people and is near the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. Although the water brings countless jobs to the community, it also creates dangerous risks for maritime workers. According to the Insurance Information Institute, “Marine accidents killed 1,163 people and caused $197 million in insured losses in 2017.” There have been diverse cases of maritime injuries, and they will continue to arise due to the high rate of maritime workers. If you or someone you know has been injured due to a maritime accident, it’s time to hire a maritime lawyer to handle your case.
Most Common Injuries
Listed below are some of the most common maritime injuries. Injuries can vary depending on the accident that occurred.
- Shoulder injuries
- Falling overboard, which can result in various injuries, such as broken bones, concussions, or, in the worst case, death.
- Chemical burns
- Lost limbs
- Toxication. Exposure to toxic fumes can result in different health problems.
Why You Need an Attorney
- Our lawyers understand the different laws such as The Jones Act, General Maritime Law, The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, and the Death on the High Seas Act. A maritime lawyer has the knowledge and experience necessary to approach your case.
- The injuries some people suffer as maritime workers are not always covered by workers’ compensation. An experienced lawyer knows how to handle maritime laws, and can assist you on your particular injury.
- If you have suffered an accident while on the job, you deserve to know your legal rights. Our lawyers know these rights, and can you give you the best chance of recovering the maximum compensation for your claim.
- If you’re uncertain if you have a claim, an experienced attorney can inform and assist you through the process. The Law Offices of Blaine Barrilleaux are willing to sit down with you and review your case.
The Jones Act
The Jones Act is a specific law that applies to seamen or merchant marines who are injured while aboard ships. The act provides compensation when an injury occurs secondary to the negligence of a fellow seaman, the vessel’s owner, the captain, or another member of the vessel’s crew. An experienced maritime lawyer is well aware of this act and can assist you with your claim.
What Our Clients Are Saying
Mr. Blaine Barrilleaux and his staff made this process as painless as possible. This was my first time going through a lawsuit and he and his staff made me very comfortable and went above and beyond to make sure I understood the process and what to expect. I would recommend this law firm to anyone seeking help.
Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Anytime I needed anything Blaine’s team was there to help me. They were friendly and on top of everything I asked for. I really appreciate how hard and quickly they worked to resolve my case. I would highly recommend Blaine Barrilleaux Law for anyone needing legal help.
Lafayette, LA, USA
Jeff and Michelle
Blaine Barrilleaux and his staff went beyond what was ever expected. Blaine was very easy to talk to and he listened to all my needs and concerns. They truly care. Thanks Blaine for all you did for us.
Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
Blaine and his staff treated my family with the most respect. Blaine cares for his clients and goes above and beyond for them. Thank you Blaine for all your hard work and time in my case.
Morgan City, LA, USA
Different Types of Maritime Accident Claims
Although these are not all of the accident claims we handle, below are a few examples of maritime accidents that we represent:
- Unsafe conditions on ships or boats
- Toxic exposure claims
- Offshore drilling rigs
- Cruise ships and other types of boats
- Drilling, welding, and cranes
- Slips and falls, including cases involving falls while boarding or debarking from a vessel
- Rough water claims
- Claims involving vessels that collided with another vessel or other object
Contact an Injury Attorney Today
At the Law Office of Blaine Barrilleaux, we have been assisting accident victims for over 20 years. We understand the different laws governing maritime accidents, and we take pride in assisting our clients by thoroughly investigating their case. Furthermore, we recognize that suffering an injury is challenging. That’s why we want to lift some of the burdens off your shoulders so you can focus on recovering.
The Law Office of Blaine Barrilleaux understands what you are experiencing during your time of injury, and we would like to assist you on your claim. If you have been injured while on the water for any reason, contact our office to discuss whether you need to file a maritime accident claim.